The "Healthy Rivers, Healthy Bay" initiative is a collaboration between PrimeSCI! and EEK! (Environmental Education for Kids). This initiative aims to raise community awareness of the health of two major catchments (Yarra and Dandenong) feeding into Port Phillip Bay. We are funded by DELWP through the Port Phillip Bay Fund, allowing us to work with many schools, teachers, and environmental groups across the Yarra and Dandenong Catchments over the next two years.
Date: Wednesday 16th October
Time: 4:30pm to 6:30pm
Venue: Blackburn Lake Sanctuary Information Centre, 95 Central Road, Blackburn, 3130
Cost: Free for local tickets, $10.00 for external tickets
Bookings: Through eventbrite
Join us, to help gain an understanding of your local environment and waterways. During this session you will:
- Discover how we are all a part of a greater catchment;
- Learn how our activities impact the catchment and ultimately Port Phillip Bay;
- Learn about Water Quality Testing (River Detectives based);
- See how water quality testing can be used in your classroom to gain an understanding of your local creek or river. What do the results mean? Why do we test?
- Look at issues of litter and pollution and learn to record this data on site at school;
- Learn about the many amazing macroninvertebrates that live in our creeks and rivers, sampling methods and recording data - how these results can be used to numerically represent the 'health' of the waterway;
- Understand the different results of creeks and rivers versus wetlands and if there is a difference between urban and rural waterways.
Educational Materials will be provided at and after the session.
What to bring:
- Your wonderful self;
- Healthy Waterway questions that you need answered;
- An apetite for sustainable learning!
To be eligible for this event you must live or work within one of the five EASL partner councils (Knox, Manningham, Maroondah, Whitehorse and Yarra Ranges). This event will count towards your professional development hours, with all attendees receiving a certificate of participation by email after the day.
Afternoon tea will be provided as part of this event from 4pm onwards.
See you there!